Changing Self-Perception

Many people do not have the proper perception of themselves. Because of this, many Christians do not know how to view themselves even as recipients of God’s salvation. They struggle with who they were, who they are, and who they will become. Our relationship with Christ brings us into a new life with a new identity. The Christian, thus, has to see himself as God sees him and receive his new identity in Christ.

 

Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. Gen 17:5-6 (KJV)

Abraham received the promise of a son, but that was not enough from God’s viewpoint. His coming blessing required that Abraham no longer view himself in the same manner. God changes  his name from Abram (which means Exalted Father) to Abraham (Father of Many). God changed His name while he was only the father of one; that is Ishmael. Abraham’s name change signified what God had purposed him to be. However, his name signified his relationship and covenant with God.

The Christian today has to receive a spiritual name change. Though people may call you by the same name, it should not have the same impact. However, it will begin with you agreeing with God and with who you are in Him. On today, if you know that you do not see yourself, as God would have you, ask for grace and strength. He will help you develop the proper self-perception. You will not think too high of yourself or too low of yourself. Remember, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creation.

Prayer of the Week:

“I thank you that who I was before you does not characterize who I am now in you. I ask you to help me to see myself as you see me. I desire to have the proper self-perception. Amen.”


No comments:

Post a Comment