Sanctified for the Set-Up


      Growing up, if I wanted something special from my parents, I would make sure that I did all that I knew they had required of me. As children, you know, we sometimes will not do everything that we are supposed to do like chores or even getting along with siblings. This all changed when they gave me a promise or I wanted something.

And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you. Josh 3:5 (KJV)

     God gave the nation of Israel a promise of rest and peace in the land of Canaan. They, however, would not be able to possess it in their own strength. As they progressed in the land, Joshua commands the people to sanctify themselves in preparation of what God would do for them (the set-up). They had to get rid of known and visible things (like idols and immoral acts) to see the wonders of God.

    The same is true for the Christian. I am not speaking of legalism. We know that God is good, kind, and merciful. He gives us more than we deserve continually and it is never based upon our goodness.

    Yet, Christians should continually examine themselves to make sure they are living a life pleasing to God (especially while standing in prayer and expectation of His blessings). We sometimes need to be sanctified for the set-up.

Prayer of the Week:
“I know that you are loving and gracious, yet you desire for me to be holy. I thank you for strength to please you in my lifestyle. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment